Web development broadly refers to the tasks associated with developing websites for hosting on an intranet or internet. This service is one of the most required for companies that wish to scale and gain visibility worldwide.
Below you can find 11 key solutions that a web development service can provide for your company. Depending on your enterprise’ needs, you will find the best to take your existing software platform, workload management, efficiency, and revenues to the highest level.
1. Multi-tenancy architectures
It makes a lot of sense to build and maintain a Ruby on Rails app that bases on a multi-tenancy architecture. Multi-tenancy means that each customer gets its own “platform” to work on, such that the entire platform is a platform of platforms. This typically means having something like the following:
Think like how Google Suite is a platform that you can use for your own company. But the platform is, in reality, a platform of such platforms.
The benefits of this type of implementation are the isolation of customer’s information (if you are thinking in complying with GDPR or other standards/regulations), the greater capability of distributing the load to keep the applications fast and ease of maintenance and enrollment over the long term.
2. Enterprise authentication solutions and integrations with known standards (SSO, SAML, CAS)
3. Payment flows using payment gateways
Implementing payment flows means to write the logic for communicating with payment gateways necessary for customers to purchase goods and services, pay for subscriptions, transfer funds, and for our clients to receive such payments.
Popular payment gateway services include:
4. Activity logging and analytics (audit trails)
This refers to the implementation of features that allow platform administrators to collect and analyze data. For example, tracking user’s activity and having ways to analyze it.
Some of tools and technologies are the following:
Keen IO (https://keen.io/)
The Elastic suite of products (https://www.elastic.co/)
In this point, we mainly refer to activity logging for administrators use, for security and management purposes (auditing).
5. Scaling Ruby on Rails apps
Scale for us means to put the applications to run in the real world. Our method of choice is to pack them into containers and manage their scaling through container services.
- App/service containerization using Docker
- Deploying Ruby on Rails apps in AWS using EC2 or ECS
6. Advanced search (using Solr/Elasticsearch)
This indicates to implement advanced searching and filtering of information through the use of indexing tools and services. When you need searching capabilities similar to those found on Amazon or eBay or other e-commerce sites, you are looking at advanced searching capabilities.
These types of searches include:
- A high number of filters and/or custom logic.
- Sorting the results by relevance or ranking.
- Faceted search (Searching in a high dimensional space + pre-computing the number of hits (results)).
7. External services integration
Web development includes the possibility to integrate external services such as:
- Mass/Transactional email marketing platforms (Mandrill, Mailchimp)
- Social Networks/Apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc..)
- Information services (Google, IFTTT)
- Analytics (Kissmetrics, Mixpanel, Google UA, KeenIO, Segment, etc.)
8. REST API design and implementation
Companies wishing for their applications to integrate with other services require an interface for doing so. These are called APIs and typically need of the following work:
- Describe the set of allowed functions and features to expose.
- Designing the authentication, and endpoints.
- Implementing the API itself.
- Documentation for third parties to integrate with the service.
We typically implement APIs using the following technologies
- JWT/API keys for authentication
- Swagger for documentation
9. Platform/service re-conceptualization
This can be considered part of a Digital Transformation process. It is to re-think the way the current service is being provided, to simplify it.
10. Security updates and fixes
This solution includes performing preventive security updates and Rails framework upgrades. Also, perform a basic security audit of your Ruby on Rails app. Quickly deactivate features in the event that recent vulnerabilities are detected.
11. Emergency system recovery after hacking or DDoS attacks.
This kind of issues requires to Quickly de-activating exploited features (on Ruby on Rails applications) and filtering out traffic from specific countries or networks at the server level.
Regarding all the mentioned solutions, we can say our trajectory and expertise allow us to satisfactorily accomplish them.
Here you can check our work and feel free to contact us for further information. https://codescrum.com/case-studies/